I'm craving for Singapore Chili Crab since last few week, but it was so difficult to find mud crab in town, until my recent visit to AEON Bandar Utama, and I found the live one here. Here we go, my Singapore Chiuli Crab at my style. Taste wise and the thickness, is almost the same with Lion City Restaurant at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (I am confident right?).
3 clove garlic
1 big union
1/2 inch ginger
6 - 7 tbsp dried chili, blended
4 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 kg mud crab, cut into parts (normally each crab is 800gm to 1 kg)
2 - 3 cup water
1 cube fish stock
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Corn flour, mix with a little water
French loaf/steam rice/steam bun
Fresh salad leaf
- Blender garlic, union, fish stock and ginger.
- Put 2 tbsp vegetable oil into cooking pan and fry the blended ingredients.
- After the blended ingredients cooked, add dried chili and tomato puree in the pan and wait until the chili cook.
- Add some water to ensure its not dried up.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and stir well.
- Add sugar, pinch of salt and taste the sweetness, spiciness and saltiness of the sauce.
- Add the mud crab into the ingredient and mix well. You will see the crab shell will turn to be red colour.
- Mix well and make sure the sauce didn't dried up.
- When the crab cooked, add corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Finally turn off the fire, and add the 2 lightly beaten egg on in the sauce and mix well with the crab.
- You can have this chili crab with French Loaf/any kind of bread, steam rice or maybe steam bun too.